Youth Football Zone Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who to block?

Go down

Who to block? Empty Who to block?

Post  Cybertooth Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:15 am

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but I'm hoping someone here can help me with a blocking question I've had for many years.

I played High School football years ago (about 2 decades ago!) Anyhow, I was a left tackle (both defense and offense). Now, I knew the plays and I knew in which direction I was supposed to drive my man. The problem was that sometimes the defense would line up without another tackle in front of me, but there was a man futher back, probably a defense back. So on a running play, was I supposed to "block out" the defensive back? Also, on pass plays to my side, I had to drop back a step and block to protect the quarterback. When I didn't have a defensive man directly in front of me, I'd block the defensive man to my left. Is this correct.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you're an offensive tackle who do you block if there's no tackle in front of you for both running and pass plays?

This question has bothered me for years. I now realize that I should've asked for confirmation of this BACK THEN from my line coach, but I didn't.

However, we must've done something right because my first season playing (freshman), our team went undefeated and unscored on.

Thanks in advance for any help or information.

Cybertooth

Back to top Go down